JOIN OUR TEAM
Lead Distiller Position Available!
Iron Fish Distillery seeks a Lead Distiller to build upon a solid soil-to-craft spirit portfolio of Michigan’s first farm distillery. We set out to “Returning Spirit to Its Origin” by making spirts from the ground up on our 120-acre farm, embraced by the region and our state. Nearly four years into our journey, we celebrate the support our community has shown us, and work hard every day to earn their affection through a tireless commitment to perfection and innovation. Our portfolio includes estate spirits distilled and aged from grain grown on our farm, spirits made from grain grown by nearby farms, and a deep bench of barrel blended dark spirits, carefully sourced and transformed in barrels from around the world. We prize the team at Iron Fish Distillery that works tirelessly to create a unique farm destination experience anchored by exceptional spirits, cocktails and entertainment. We seek a Lead Distiller who can fit in well with a company culture where drive, collaboration and talent converge to make it all work. Iron Fish Distillery celebrates a collaborative work environment and our team shares some common characteristics: We are passionate about craft spirits, committed to quality, share a positive world view, generous of spirit, adaptable and confident in our work but curious on how we can improve.
Main responsibilities are production, safety management, and quality control of the distilling operation. The Lead Distiller will apply his/her creativity, science and technological knowledge to achieve the desired spirit traits and end products. The Lead Distiller understands the production and aging processes and the underlying scientific processes to consistently produce high-quality spirits. The Lead Distiller is a full-time employee and a member of the Management Team, who reports to the Managing Member, David Wallace.
The Lead Distiller will direct and manage the distillation of all spirits offered by Iron Fish Distillery. This person should to be able to take on multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and see them through to completion.
He/she must have the ability to work independently, delegate tasks as needed, be discrete, and possess an excellent work ethic and attention to detail. The Lead Distiller takes leadership over safety procedures and will maintain a clean production environment. As with any young growing business, production priorities change based on market feedback, the unexpected happens and the Lead Distiller is required to balance the tension between long lead time production planning and satisfying near-term demand that can exceed forecasts.
Flexibility and a sense of humor helps.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Develop recipes for a full range of spirits in close collaboration with the Managing Member.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the distillery. The Lead Distiller oversees every aspect of production including the sourcing of raw materials, milling and mash operations, fermentation, distillation, maturation, blending and bottling while overseeing the efficiency of the production process. Maintain standards through the use of SOP’s and record keeping.
- Develop quality requirements for outsourced grain and establish buying arrangements with key suppliers (e.g. grain, yeast, enzymes, barrels etc.) meeting high standards and requirements, based upon agreed upon production forecasts.
- Responsible for participating and coordinating team and company sensory activities
- Oversee long term spirits aging and planning. Develop a stock management plan informed by continually sampling maturing stock and recommending decisions on its use.
- Designing a comprehensive sampling and recording program. Create a program which samples and records the quality of the product produced drawing correlations between recipe, aging, char, barrels used that drives continuous improvement and quality.
- Responsible for production R&D. Develop new styles of spirits in conjunction with the Management Team and oversee the Single Barrel Program.
- Stay abreast of and oversee compliance with federal and state safety rules and regulations and new industry developments and trends.
- Supervise/train the Assistant Distiller and production team and delegate tasks as needed.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with wide variety of contacts, externally including our suppliers and internally with Iron Fish team members responsible for the tasting room, events, tours and farm production.
- Closely collaborate with management to create an inspired and educational experience for visitors to Iron Fish Distillery.
- Help influence the integration of spirits into cocktails and beverage offerings.
- Develop and maintain a system of production, processing and storage record keeping meeting state, federal and internal requirements.
- The Lead Distiller will be comfortable and eager to contribute toward brand promotion, including interactions with customers, the media, industry players, and wholesalers to promote the distillery and products.
- Responsible for setting team example and teamwork culture.
- Responsible for assisting / communicating material planning, including dry good needs, movement and organization. Responsible for storage process, including warehouse transfers (internal), barrel management (branding, filling, dumping, recording, storing, sampling).
- Responsible for shipping and receiving.
- Maintain open communication with the Managing Member and Management Team, make recommendations/suggestions for equipment maintenance, necessary training or other improvements as identified.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lb. units, operate heavy equipment safely.
- Support other functional areas and lend assistance as required.
- Experience in the distillery industry, or combination of brewing and distilling. May also have experience in agricultural, chemical, ethanol, alcohol, industries. Minimum 2+ years of spirits making experience, or 4 years combined spirits and brewing experience.
- B S Degree or equivalent in a related science/technological area.
- Experience and knowledge of distillery software systems (FIVE by 5 Solutions preferred).
- Excellent analytical skills: Ability to collect and analyze data and present findings, make recommendations/suggestions for equipment maintenance, necessary training or other improvements as identified.
- Superior organizational, time management, and prioritization skills.
- Strong computer skills (MS Office with excel).
- Solid ability in identifying and resolving problems in a timely, effective manner.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to collaborate and influence key members of the team.
- Strong organizational skills and work ethic.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Distilling: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- On location
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
Kitchen & Back of House Positions Available!
We are looking for experienced line cooks to join our fast paced, detail oriented Kitchen Team. If you thrive to be the best and want to work alongside a creative kitchen team that is making some of the best, most exciting food in NWI, we want to hear from you. Our ideal candidate is self-driven, punctual, and engaged.Responsibilities include, Set up and stocking stations with all necessary supplies, chopping vegetables, prepare sauces and other food preparation, clean up station and take care of leftover food and stocking inventory.
Bartender & Server Positions Available!
Iron Fish Distillery, Michigan’s first farm distillery, is growing and we are on the lookout for the right people to join our team as Bartender & Servers. Iron Fish Distillery creates distinctively distilled, hand produced and bottled whiskeys, vodkas, gins, rums and specialty liquors. Every step of the process, from soil-to-spirit occurs on our 119 acre, environmentally certified, end-destination farm.
An Iron Fish Bartender must be able to convey ideas and processes important to our story. As a young business, an Iron Fish Bartender must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends (including holiday weekends), lead informed tastings to customers, maintain bar inventory, maintain a perfect cash drawer, and must be meticulous about bar cleanliness. The most important trait for an Iron Fish Bartender & Server is to be able to communicate with customers, at various levels of understanding, the entirety of the farm-to-glass process.
IFD Bartender & Server Requirements
- Prior service industry experience, or prior bartending experience
- Interest and/or knowledge of mixology and cocktail development
- Comfortable in social situations, at ease with engaging the public and an outgoing personality
- Passion for and interest in learning more about the local farm to table movement and craft spirits essential.
- Be able to work effectively and efficiently with a variety of different people and in various different work environments/situations
- Familiarity with POS (eg. Square), scheduling and office management systems essential
- Ability to lift, carry, pull or push up to 50lbs
How to Apply:
To express your interest in a position, please email us at email@example.com with a brief description of yourself and your qualifications, your availability, which team you are interested in, along with:
- A completed application form. You can find our application form HERE. Simply download it to your computer, fill in the fields, digitally sign it, save it and email it back to us.
- Your resume (optional)
Drop ins welcome.